Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Goals




Goals are an interesting thing. In my opinion they are one of the most important things in life to have and yet they aren't necessary. Or at least the necessary that I'm thinking of at the moment. Sure most people have the 'goal' of surviving another day, of putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their head and for some that can be a herculean task. But for people like me that won the lottery of being born in the United States. Being white and male its hard not to feel super spoiled and privileged because, well, I am.

It's like being spoiled and having a really good idea of how spoiled you are but not letting it stop you from complaining. Or perhaps even trying to discover some greater purpose. And I guess that's where the idea of setting goals, working towards them and attaining them comes into play for me.

There are large goals that I've had for a long time. Stuff to do with religion, being a good husband, family and friends, work and enjoyment. But there have been other goals that have more to do with the point of this blog. Ones to do with sport. With cycling. When it comes to those goals it's as though they have been scattered to the four winds. Life has overwhelmed me, beat me down and then tossed me out to the curb on my ear over the past 6 months and I've been trying to dust myself off and find my bearings. Which hasn't been very easy for me. I've always thought of myself as tough and resilient. But dealing with things that life hands you is if nothing else an ego check. Back to my original point...

Goals.

I want to have the desire to race and race hard again. I want to feel that total exhaustion after a race or a really hard workout that can't be replicated in any other fashion (That I've experienced anyway.) And I want to feel that excitement and that satisfaction of reaching a goal that I have set for myself on the bicycle. Knowing that there wasn't anymore that I could have put out and being totally fine with the outcome. Because I can tell you that those goals. That process is AWESOME. It's part of what keeps me coming back to cycling. Well, that and it's fun.

Now the big trick it to figure out how to get it. I have the sneaking suspicion that it will involve mud, knobby tires, team tents, beer, and good friends.

Here is to having goals everybody.

Rubber side down,

Big E

No comments:

Post a Comment